History of the Spe-Le-Yai Lodge
This National Quality Lodge was chartered on August 16, 1943 at Camp Bill Lane in the Big Tujunga Canyon. Spe-Le-Yai is the Shoshone word for the “Song of the Coyote.” The lodge totem is a coyote singing to the darkened sky. Spe-Le-Yai was responsible for conducting the first ordeal ceremonies for many of the early Lodges in Southern California. Including Siwinis Lodge and several of the lodges which merged to become Ta Tanka lodge. Their American Indian singing team, the “Coyote Singers” have performed at a large number of Conclave pow wow’s in the last 26 years, and several National conferences.
Camp Bill Lane
Camp Bill Lane was located at the foot of the Big Tujunga Canyon and Mt. Gleason. Bill Lane was a wealthy Eagle Rock man, who donated 85 acres for the camp, another 150 acres nearby was leased by the Scouts from Los Angeles. The camp was washed out in a big flood in 1969.